Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) is a national health agenda that communicates a vision and a strategy for improving the health of the Nation's population and achieving health equity. On December 2, 2010, Healthy People 2020 launched its ambitious, yet achievable, 10-year agenda for improving the Nation’s health. Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations. Read the press release for the Healthy People 2020 launch. [PDF - 149 KB]
HP2020 Vision - A society in which all people live long, healthy lives.
Mission - Healthy People 2020 strives to:
- Identify nationwide health improvement priorities.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of health, disease, and disability and the opportunities for progress.
- Provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, state, and local levels.
- Engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge.
- Identify critical research, evaluation, and data collection needs.
- Attain high-quality, longer lives free of preventable disease, disability, injury, and premature death.
- Achieve health equity, eliminate disparities, and improve the health of all groups.
- Create social and physical environments that promote good health for all.
- Promote quality of life, healthy development, and healthy behaviors across all life stages.
HP2020 utilizes four foundation health measures that will serve as an indicator of progress towards achieving these goals:
The lead office for the development of Healthy People 2020 is the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Ways you can participate and learn more about Healthy People 2020:
- Download the 2020 Topics and Objectives.
HP2020 provides a framework to address risk factors and determinants of health and the diseases and disorders that affect our communities. It enables state and local public health departments and their partners to set priorities and assign tasks to help achieve the objectives.
- Browse What's New with Healthy People 2020
- New Topics of Interest may include:
The Virginia Department of Health does not have statewide HP2020 goals. However, HP2020 goals and objectives are included to guide some programs, policies, initiatives at the state, local and community level. The Virginia Department of Health collaborates with Local Health Departments and other organizations to measure the impact of prevention efforts across the state.