Analysis of legislation and legislative initiatives invariably addresses the cost, quality and accessibility of health care. State agency staff plays an important role when the Virginia General Assembly is in session.
1. A bill is introduced by the General Assembly
2. The Department of Planning and Budget assigns Secretariat to handle bill
3. The Health and Human Services Secretariat selects agency
4. The Virginia Department of Health assigns office
5. The Office of Minority Health and Public Health Policy analyzes legislation, consults with constituents and makes legislation heard in committee meetings representing the Governor's position on the bill
In the past several sessions of the General Assembly, the Office of Minority Health and Public Health Policy was assigned to bills addressing health insurance, nursing scholarships, legal representation for informed consent for clinical research, the role of health systems, agencies, insurance mandates, and telemedicine.