In Virginia, 47% of third graders have experienced tooth decay. Through learning and practicing good dental health, we can lower this number. Good dental habits can help prevent cavities and tooth decay, not just for children but for all Virginians.
Here are a few tips to remember for healthy smiles:
- Brush teeth for two minutes, two times a day
- Take children to the dentist by age one
- Use a pea-size drop of fluoride toothpaste for young children
- Use dental floss daily
- Eat fruits and vegetables for a snack instead of candy and other sweets
- Drink more water and less soda
- Protect children’s teeth with dental sealants
- Schedule family dental visits every year
These tips are great to remember and help keep healthy smiles for a lifetime. If you have questions about your children’s dental health, find a local dentist. Good dental health leads to overall health. This month is a perfect time to focus on teaching children how important their teeth are!