PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THE LINKS BELOW ARE LIVE AND THE INFORMATION SHARED IN THEM UPDATED FREQUENTLY!
The Office of EMS continues to monitor the ongoing situation regarding the spread of COVID-19. Information on various topics related to the COVID-19. This includes personal protective equipment, decontamination, signs and symptoms, and other information designed to assist public safety agencies in responding to this incident.
The following information is included on this page:
Office of EMS specific information
- Testing and Provider Certification
- Regulation and Compliance
General COVID-19 Disease Information
- CDC Guidance for EMS for Response to COVID-19
- Signs and Symptoms
- Healthcare Provider Exposure
- COVID-19 in Virginia
- Travel Information
- Additional Websites
- Printable Educational Materials
Division of Accreditation, Certification & Education
Paper Certification Cards Will Be Delayed 30 Days at a Minimum
- OEMS staff will not have access to our building to print and mail certification cards as the Commonwealth’s Mail Services will be affected.
- Provider certifications can be verified online at the following URL: https://vdhems.vdh.virginia.gov/emsapps/ProviderSearch.html
- All certification data on this website is real-time, up-to-date, valid and accurate.
- All certifications expiring March 31 and April 30 will be extended until June 30, 2020.
- All CE is available through online resources, and providers are encouraged to use those resources. http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/emergency-medical-services/education-certification/provider-resources/web-based-continuing-education/
- NREMT is also extending certifications expiring in March to June 30, 2020.
- All psychomotor (CTS and NREMT) testing will be suspended, effective Monday, March 16 through April 30.
- All test deadlines will be extended in accordance with the suspended test sites
Regulation & Compliance
EMS Agency Licenses and Permits
- MS Agency licenses and vehicle permits that expire March 31 through June 30, 2020 will be automatically extended to December 31, 2020.
- Operational Medical Directors & Physician Course Directors whose endorsement expires March 31 through June 30, 2020 will be automatically extended to December 31, 2020.
General COVID-19 Disease Information
- PSAP screening guidance
- CDC Guidance for PSAP
- EMS Infectious Disease Playbook
- Guidance for EMS and Public Safety Answering Points
- Infection Prevention & Control Recommendations
- Healthcare supply of Personal Protective Equipment
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of PPE
- Risk Assessment & Public Health Management of Exposure in a Healthcare Setting
Signs and Symptoms
- Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/COVID19-symptoms.pdf
Healthcare Provider Exposure to Coronavirus
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- If COVID-19 is identified, healthcare personnel are assessed and classified as high-, medium-, or low-risk depending on multiple factors
- Exposure duration, patient symptoms, if patient was wearing facemask, aerosol-generating procedures, and type of PPE used by healthcare personnel
- Recommendations for monitoring for COVID-19 and work restrictions depend on exposure risk classification
- LHD will work with each facility to outline roles and responsibilities
COVID-19 in Virginia
COVID-19 Testing and Confirmed Case Counts in Virginia – http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/novel-coronavirus/
COVID-19 Surveillance Dashboard (UVA) http://nssac.bii.virginia.edu/covid-19/dashboard/
Travelers Returning from High Risk Countries with Widespread Sustained (Ongoing) Transmission Arriving in the United States https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
COVID-19 risk assessment by country https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Suggested websites containing up-to-date COVID-19 information.
- Virginia Department of Health
- World Health Organization
- Virginia Office of EMS – Emerging Infectious Disease
- NHTSA – Office of EMS
- Virginia EMS Regional Councils