Thank you for your patience while we developed the new Virginia EMS Scholarship Program. The Virginia EMS Scholarship Program will officially launch on October 17, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Initial eligibility for students enrolled in eligible Virginia initial certification programs from July 1, 2018 through October 15, 2018 will close on October 26, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
The Virginia EMS Scholarship Program (EMSSP) is managed by the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services providing scholarship awards to current Virginia EMS Providers and those seeking to become EMS providers in the Commonwealth.
The EMSSP supports students who are accepted into an eligible Virginia approved initial certification program–EMR, EMT, AEMT and Paramedic.
The scholarship program is not designed to provide 100% funding for a training program.
How To Apply
Virginia EMS Providers or students seeking to become EMS providers in Virginia will apply for the scholarship program through the Virginia EMS Portal. Students will receive an e-mail notification from the EMS Portal after they have been accepted into an eligible Virginia approved initial certification program.
Student eligibility is automatically determined by the Virginia EMS Portal and is based on the following eligibility criteria. The student:
- must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- shall not have any current Office of EMS imposed enforcement action from the Division of Regulations and Compliance
- must be enrolled in an eligible Virginia approved initial certification program
- must have paid tuition for the program in which you were enrolled.
Click here for the Virginia EMS Scholarship Program Quick Guide–which details the application process for students.
Students will be required to sign a scholarship contract which should be carefully read before submitting the scholarship application.
How Award Amounts are Determined
Determining Baseline Funding
- Tuition costs are calculated based on the tuition rate and number of credit hours it takes to complete each level of EMS training in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
- The Office then determines baseline funding by considering several factors to include: 1) how much money will be available during the fiscal year, 2) the number of anticipated applicants, and 3) any system specific training priorities. Staff will then set the maximum percentage of the calculated VCCS tuition that the scholarship program will cover by certification level.
For FY18/19, the baseline funding per level is as follows:
|Level||Credit Hours||Credit Hr. $||Total VCCS Tuition Charges||FY19 EMSSP Baseline $|
Determining Additional Funding*
In addition to the baseline funding per certification level, the EMS Portal will look at four (4) Virginia Department of Health stressors, and potentially apply additional funding to the baseline award amount. Using the student/provider’s home zip code, the EMS Portal will then calculate any additional funding based on the application of the following stressors:
- Health Profession Shortage Area Score
- Medically Underserved Area/Population Score
- Locality Fiscal Stress Index Score
- Return to Localities Score
* A student/provider is not guaranteed to receive additional funding if they reside in an locality which has no stressors.
The Awardee becomes immediately responsible for payment in full to the State if they do not meet the following*:
- successful completion of their training program.
- successful testing obtaining Virginia certification at the level of training.
- affiliation with a licensed Virginia EMS agency for a minimum of one (1) year.
- compliance with all applicable Code of Virginia and EMS Regulations as well as the Training Program Administration Manual
- notifying the Office of EMS of any change in legal name, address change or criminal/civil charges within five (5) days of the event.
* For full disclosure, be sure to read the scholarship contract.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following links are to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) for the Virginia EMS Scholarship Program. Please check the FAQ page below before contacting the Office of EMS with questions about the program.