New this Year! Plan to attend General Sessions, which are open to all attendees on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8-9 a.m. in Marriott IV, 4th floor. Recently, some scheduling changes were announced, which affected the Keynote Speaker for the awards banquet and the dates of speakers at the General Sessions. The updated schedule is below:
- Thursday – OPE-908 Active Shooter or Active Deadly Threat: An Approach for EMS Agencies, Instructor: Kevin Ramdayal, FDNY Captain.
- Friday – This session will feature J.R. Martinez, who was previously scheduled to speak at the Saturday night awards banquet. This scheduling change has Mr. Martinez speaking on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. in the Marriott. Registration is not required for this session, however, once the room has met capacity it will be closed to additional guests. One hour of continuing education will be awarded in Area 15 – BLS and Area 20 – ALS.
Jose Rene “J.R.” Martinez is an American actor, author, motivational speaker and retired U.S. Army soldier. In March of 2003, Martinez was deployed to Iraq. In April he sustained severe burns to over 34 percent of his body when his humvee hit a roadside bomb. Since his recovery, Martinez has since become a highly sought-after motivational speaker. He has traveled around the country speaking about his experiences to corporations, veteran’s groups, schools and other organizations.
- Saturday – HEA-610 EMS from Death’s Perspective 1999-2019, Instructor: Robert Page. Those who were previously registered for this general session on Friday, Nov. 8 will be transferred to this session. For those who would like to attend but did not register for this session, limited seats may be available. Please do not take a seat in the room until 7:55 a.m. when all registered attendees should be present. Once the room has met capacity, it will be closed.
Wednesday, Nov. 6
- Spirit Night Dinner Cruise
Wednesday, Nov. 6, from 7 – 9 p.m., boarding time is 6:30 p.m.
You’re invited to celebrate our annual Spirit Night with a special dinner cruise on the Elizabeth River. On Wednesday, Nov. 6, the Virginia Office of EMS has organized a Spirit of Norfolk dinner cruise, which will be available to all symposium registrants and guests. This special cruise is offered at a discounted conference rate and includes a dinner buffet, DJ entertainment, games and a large rooftop lounge with panoramic views. The cruise is from 7 – 9 p.m., boarding time is 6:30 p.m. and reservations are required.
Thursday, Nov. 7
- Thursday Night Dinner Theater with Magician
On-site event, Sheraton
Dinner will be served at 7 p.m. (please note: this is an updated time than previously advertised.)
- Thursday Night Dance with DJ
Friday, Nov. 8
- Game Night – Monte Carlo
Friday, Nov. 8, from 9 p.m. – 12 a.m.
Try your luck at craps, roulette, blackjack and more. New this year – There will be lots more exciting entertainment options, featuring more tables and games than ever before!
Saturday, Nov. 9
- Annual Governor’s EMS Awards Ceremony and Reception
Saturday, Nov. 9, 6:45 – 9 p.m.
Join us as we honor the 2019 Governor’s EMS Award nominees on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 6:45 p.m., Norfolk Ballroom, 1st floor, Marriott. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. A plated dinner will be served at banquet-style seating. New this year – We’ll welcome Randolph “Randy” Mantooth as the Keynote Speaker for this event (this is an update from previously advertised info.) There is a $10/person fee for this event and tickets may be offered for on-site purchase, subject to availability. After the awards ceremony, join us for the annual DJ Dance in the Hampton Ballroom, 3rd floor, Marriott.
- Saturday Night Dance
Saturday, Nov. 9, 9 p.m.
Following the Governor’s EMS Awards reception, please join us for the annual dance, beginning at 9 p.m. in the Hampton Ballroom, third floor, Marriott. Enjoy DJ entertainment and dancing.
Biospatial Demos – Wed. & Thurs. in the Marriott
Please attend one of the demonstration sessions offered at this year’s symposium to learn how you can gain actionable insight from your data! Sessions will be held on the 4th floor of the Marriott on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Thursday, Nov. 7, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.