Note: Please be aware that these links will take you away from our site, and to some fairly dense reading. You may return by using your browser’s Back feature. If you need help interpreting these regulations, please contact your local DSS office
Virginia Administrative Code: (if need be, click on the links below, then click on “Next” to see the details in each Code section)
- “Regulations for the Sanitary Control of Storing, Processing, Packing or Repacking of Oysters, Clams and Other Shellfish” 12VAC5-150.
- “Regulations for the Sanitary Control of the Picking, Packing and Marketing of Crab Meat for Human Consumption” 12VAC5-160.
- “Regulations for the Sanitary Control of the Repacking of Crab Meat” 12VAC5-165.
- Regulations “Pertaining to Restrictions on Shellfish” – these restrictions govern Public Health Restrictions on Harvest Times and Handling Procedures including those referring to warm weather harvest 4VAC20-1230.
- Vibrio Control Plan – The National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) requires every state from which oysters are harvested to conduct Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus risk evaluations annually. This report is intended to present data collected and evaluated by the Division of Shellfish Sanitation, in cooperation with the Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference (ISSC), to identify and control Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus risks associated with the consumption of oysters.
National Shellfish Sanitation Program: