Quick LinksWhy Immunize Exposure to Disease Onset Resources for Exposure to Disease Onset Influenza Information Tdap Information
Immunizations aren't just for children and adolescents. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend:
Flu Vaccine for Worksite Wellness
The CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 months and older receive a flu vaccine each year. Annual seasonal flu vaccination with either the flu shot or the nasal-spray flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances that you will get the flu and lessen the chance that you will spread it to others. When more people get vaccinated against the flu, less flu illness can spread through the community.
What does the flu cost a company?
Catching the flu can lead to a great loss in productivity. In 2010, the flu accounted for:
The total economic burden of the flu in the United States is estimated at $87.1 billion dollars. The flu can also cost companies billions in lost productivity and direct medical costs. On average, vaccination against the flu can save $30 per vaccinated person.
How to build Workplace Wellness through Immunization
Immunizations are a proven public health intervention and can be implemented at your workplace on varying scales. The four steps of the workplace health model can guide program planning.
Step 1: Assessment
Step 2: Planning
Step 3: Implementation
Step 4: Evaluation
Resources for Workplace Wellness through Immunization
Although healthcare personnel (HCP) have been the focus of immunizations at the workplace in studies, immunizations for caregivers is just as important. Eleven states have legislation supporting influenza immunization for HCP and numerous hospitals and healthcare facilities have policies for influenza immunization.
Sample Documents for Worksite Adult Immunization Policy
The following can be used to implement your own worksite immunization policy focusing on influenza. These documents can be modified for other vaccines, such as Tdap, or to meet your business needs.
- Sample Influenza Policy (This is a Word Document adopted from: Washington State Health Care Workers Toolkit)
- Sample Immunization Policy Letter (This is a Word Document adopted from: Washington State Health Care Workers Toolkit)
- Template for Documenting Vaccination
Case Studies and Support Documents for Worksite Immunization Programs
- National Action Plan to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections: Roadmap to Elimination
- Immunization Action Coalition Influenza Vaccination Honor Roll
- Partnership for Prevention Immunization Policy - Give Productivity a Shot in the Arm: How Influenza Immunization Can Enhance Your Bottom Line
- Washington State Health Care Workers Toolkit
- New York State Health Care Facility Immunization Toolkit