Child Care Health Consultants (CCHC) are trained professionals (i.e., physicians, nurses, and nurse practitioners) who can provide expert guidance and technical assistance to child care providers on a wide range of health and safety topics. In addition, the CCHC also has the training to access appropriate resources to assist the child care provider in successfully including children with special health, medical and/or behavior needs.
Through partnership with a child care provider, CCHC may:
- Conduct child care staff training on topics such as Health Observation, Medication Administration, Blood borne Pathogens as well as a variety of other subjects (i.e. CPR, First Aid).
- Assess health and safety needs and practices in the child care setting.
- Help caregivers develop strategies for caring for children with special health needs.
- Assist the provider in establishing policies and procedures for health/safety emergencies.
- Provide health education and wellness programs, as well as health screenings.
- Offer solutions for managing injuries or infectious diseases within the child care setting.
- Connect caregivers and families with community health care resources and experts.
- Provide up-to-date information on the latest guidelines, policies, and information regarding child health and safety.
- Offer hands-on support through telephone advice or regular on-site visits.
Find a CCHC
Call the Virginia Department of Health at (804) 864-7685
Becoming a Child Care Health Consultant (CCHC)
The Healthy Child Care Virginia Program periodically offers a comprehensive Child Care Health Consultant course for health professionals interested in becoming child care health consultants (CCHC).
This course offers the health professional the tools and skills needed to provide expert guidance and technical assistance to child care providers on a wide range of health and safety topics through a series of expert speakers, small group activities and field work.
If you are unable to attend a course but are interested in providing health trainings, please contact us to receive materials for training.
For future dates and course information, please call (804) 864-7685