Million Hearts™ is a national initiative launched in September 2011 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and co-led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The goal of the initiative is to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes over five years. Million Hearts™ aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
- Improve access to effective care.
- Improve the quality of care for the ABCS.
- Focus clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke.
- Activate the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- Improve the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCS.
- Challenging Virginia residents to test 1,000,000 blood pressures by May 2013.
- Focusing its efforts on helping partners coordinate current and planned activities targeting the ABCS through Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
program activities and community forums.
To pledge your individual commitment to the national Million Hearts™ initiative, click on the “Take the pledge.”
For more information on the Million Hearts™ initiative, please visit: millionhearts.hhs.gov