It’s free and easy to use!
School nurses are an important component of VIIS success. School nurses have the ability to:
- Participate and help build the registry
- Educate parents on the purpose of VIIS
- Inform parents they can have access to their child’s immunization records at anytime for free
Some of the added benefits include:
- Reduces staff time needed to obtain a complete copy of the student’s immunization history
- Provides immunization information to help keep student in compliance with school entry requirements
- Validates immunization histories
- Provides ACIP recommendations
- Ability to run school specific reports
How Schools Can Use VIIS?
Schools with a licensed health care professional can gain access to VIIS. Qualified individuals have the option to:
- Look-up immunization records
- Print Immunization records for students
- *RN can sign the form per 12VAC5-110-10. A LPN can not sign, but would return the form to the health department or providing physician to be signed or stamped by a physician or his designee, registered nurse, or health department official
- Input student immunizations into VIIS (optional)
- Schools which receive public funding are coverd by the Family Educational Rights Act (FERPA). Schools coverd by FERPA must obtain parental consent to update information in VIIS. Read below to learn more about FERPA.
VIIS and FERPA
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C 1232g; 42 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.
Immunization records are part of the student’s education record in Virginia. Therefore, the parent/guardian must grant permission before sharing or including the immunization record in VIIS.
Resources for Schools
- Parent Brochure
- Sample Text for Parental Permission
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
|Virginia Immunization Information System
109 Governor Street, Room 314 W
Richmond, Virginia 23219
|Mr. Greg Dennis, VIIS Director
Ms. Rochelle Green
Ms. Christy Gray