Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Protecting You and Your Environment Virginia Department of Health
Home | VDH Programs | Find It! A-Z Index | Newsroom | Administration | Jobs | Data
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter YouTube

Applying for Food Service Operation Permits

Foodservice Establishment

Foodservice Establishment
Facility in a fixed location that is preparing and serving food directly to the public such as restaurant, caterer, or cafeteria.

•    Foodservice Plan Review Application
•    Application for a Department of Health Foodservice Establishment Permit
•    Foodservice Establishment Plan Review Guide
•    Catering Guidelines

Mobile and Push Carts

Mobile and Push Carts
Pushcarts will be required to operate out of a commissary approved by the Health Department. A mobile unit is a fully equipped foodservice facility on wheels.

•    Mobile Food Establishment Guidelines
•    Mobile Unit Plan Review Application
•    Application for a Department of Health Foodservice Establishment Permit

Temporary Events

Temporary Events
A temporary food establishment that operates for a period of no more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a fair, festival, or community event.

•    Guidelines for Obtaining Temporary Food Establishment Permit
•    Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application
•    Coordinators Application for a Temporary Event


An annual permit issued for a travel trailer, family, or recreational camp, campground, camping resort or community or any other tract of land on which three or more campsites are occupied or intended for occupancy for periods of overnight or longer.

•    Application for a Campground Permit



Fruit Bush

Migrant Labor Camp
One or more structures, tents, vehicles established and used as living quarters for one or more persons who is a seasonal migrant worker engaged in agricultural or fishing activities including food processing.

•    Application for Migrant Labor Camp Permit




Summer Camp
Accommodations for 12 or more persons, under eighteen years of age, who are not related by blood or marriage for more than 2 consecutive days which is used in the Commonwealth for education, recreation, religious instruction, physical education or health of persons.

•    Application for Summer Camp Permit




Tourist Establishments
Hotels, Motels, and Bed & Breakfasts

Any place offering to the public for compensation transitory lodging or sleeping accommodations, overnight or otherwise, including but not limited to facilities known as hotels, motels, travel lodges, tourist homes or hostels which consist of two or more lodging facilities. Regulations specify criteria for assuring safe food handling, approved water and sewage disposal systems, physical plant sanitation and maintenance,
general housekeeping, and pest control.


•    Application for Hotel, Motel, and Bed & Breakfast Permit




Request for Inspections
Other organization or facilities may request a consultation or inspection. Typically, this form is used for courtesy inspections conducted for daycare centers licensed under the Virginia Department of Social Services (DSS) or residential facilities licensed by DSS or Virginia Office of Mental Health and Mental Retardation.

•    Request for Inspection


Last Updated: 08-23-2016

Printable Version

E-mail This Page