- Domestic Violence Fatality Review in Virginia
Fatality review is a nationally recognized method for understanding how and why people die. In Virginia, there are currently 18 local Domestic Violence Fatality Review Teams consisting of interdisciplinary practitioners that conduct a retrospective review of domestic violence related deaths.
- Family and Children’s Trust Fund of Virginia
FACT is a state agency devoted to the prevention of family violence throughout Virginia. This agency raises public awareness about family violence issues, collects and disperses funds to partner agencies, and creates an annual report regarding family violence, protective factors, and community resources.
- Family Violence and Sexual Assault Virginia Hotline
- This is a free and confidential hotline for those experiencing family violence or sexual assault, or for people who want more information on domestic and sexual violence. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Click the title above for more information.
- Office of the Attorney General, Domestic Violence Annual Reports
The Office of the Attorney General produces annual reports comprised of domestic violence data, initiatives, and grants, and a listing of crisis programs by Virginia locality.
- Virginia Department of Health, Division of Prevention and Health Promotion
Other agencies within the Virginia Department of Health also work within the field of domestic violence, including the Office of Family Health Services, Division of Prevention and Health Promotion. This website provides information about other VDH programs involved in the prevention and intervention into domestic violence, including Project Connect and Project Radar.
- Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance
This is Virginia’s statewide advocacy organization for sexual and domestic violence. The VSDVAA operates the Family Violence and Sexual Assault Hotline, and provides and assists with numerous trainings, advocacy resources, and data collection tools.
National and International Resources
- Battered Women’s Justice Project
The BWJP provides technical assistance and information on promising practices and guides for advocates working with survivors within the justice system.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Violence Prevention
The CDC provides substantial information regarding numerous domestic violence related topics, including intimate partner violence, sexual violence, child maltreatment, and elder abuse. See especially theNational Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey.
- Family Justice Center Alliance
The Family Justice Center Alliance provides training and technical assistance to domestic violence agencies across the country and the world. The website contains a large online resource library spanning a wide range of topics related to domestic violence.
- Homicide Surveillance Methodology
An article published in a 2006 issue of Public Health Reports describing a surveillance system that can serve as a model for state health departments and others seeking to quantify and characterize violent deaths related to intimate partner relationships and ongoing abuse.
- Institute on Domestic Violence in the African American Community
Domestic violence is particularly burdensome to African Americans, an issue that lead to the creation of the IDVAAC. This organization heads several initiatives and works with advocates, criminal justice systems, scholars, and communities to create culturally sensitive trainings and policies.
- Jewish Women International
JWI is an organization that works nationally and internationally to reduce violence against women through advocacy, training and programs that empower women and girls.
This is a national medical website that supplies information and links to research, statistics, news, laws and policies, federal agencies, and other directories related to domestic violence.
- Michigan Intimate Partner Homicide Surveillance System (MIPHSS)
Tracks intimate partner deaths from various sources, including prosecuting attorneys, the Michigan State Police, medical examiners, death certificates, and newspapers.
- National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence
This agency provides training and consultation regarding domestic violence to diverse groups of people and advocates towards policy changes up to the federal level. Their website also contains numerous links and publications regarding domestic violence issues.
- National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
This non-profit organization focuses its efforts on elder abuse through training and technical assistance. NCALL also provides other resources online that are related to elder abuse for advocates, caregivers, and survivors.
- Prevention Institute
The Prevention Institute is an organization focused on the role of primary prevention for many major public health issues, including violence and injury. The institute provides various services including presentations and trainings, technical assistance, and policy analysis.
VAWNet is an online resource collection of information regarding violence against women.
- When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2011 Homicide Data
A report issued in September, 2013, by the Violence Policy Center on females murdered by males in single victim/single offender incidents.
- World Health Organization Report
In 2013 the World Health Organization released a report discussing the striking prevalence and numerous health effects of intimate partner and sexual violence against women around the world.