March 24, 2020
For More Information, Contact:
Robert Parker, public information officer, Western Region, firstname.lastname@example.org
PITTSYLVANIA-DANVILLE HEALTH DISTRICT CONFIRMS ITS FIRST FATALITY ASSOCIATED WITH COVID-19
(DANVILLE, Virginia) — The Pittsylvania-Danville Health District announced today that a resident of the district who had COVID-19 has died, while receiving care at an out-of-state hospital.
“We express our sincere condolences to this person’s family,” said Scott Spillmann, M.D., M.P.H., director of the Pittsylvania-Danville Health District. “Unfortunately those over 65 and those with underlying health conditions are at greater risk of serious complications from COVID-19. Everyone, especially at-risk individuals, are strongly advised to take steps to minimize contact with others who are ill, practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible.”
In some patients, especially those at risk patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions, like diabetes, heart or lung disease or compromised immune systems.
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Stay home when you are sick;
- Avoid contact with sick people;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoid crowds of more than 10 people.
(NOTE: This fatality is not yet reflected in the VDH website dashboard, which is updated daily with cases recorded by 5 p.m. the evening before.)