March 19, 2020
Media Contact: William Drewery – Phone: (757) 435-4428
Western Tidewater Health District Confirms First Positive Case of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
The Western Tidewater Health Department announced a resident has tested positive for Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19). This case marks the first positive case in the Western Tidewater Health District. The male in his 50’s had recently returned from a trip to New York.
“The patient described a rapid onset of symptoms, and quickly self-isolated which greatly limited potential contacts,” said Western Tidewater Health Director Dr. Todd Wagner. “We are monitoring the situation and working closely with medical authorities to make sure we are providing the best information to this patient and his family.”
To lower the risk of respiratory germ spread, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages the following effective behaviors:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public.
- Avoid crowds of more than ten people.
This is a rapidly changing situation, and information is being shared as it becomes available on the following websites: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus or www.vdh.virgina.gov/coronavirus/. Please consult www.vdh.virgina.gov/coronavirus for the latest number of COVID-19 cases in Virginia.
Residents should contact the information call center at (757) 683-2745 with questions about the novel coronavirus 19 situation.
Note: This case is not included in the totals posted today on the VDH website at www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus.
# # #