For More Information Contact
- Michelle Peregoy, Public Information Officer, Office of Drinking Water, 804-864-7963
- Robert Parker, Public Information Officer, SW Region, 540-381-7100 x151
WATER TREATMENT PLANTS RECOGNIZED FOR EXCELLENCE
(RICHMOND, Va.) – Eighty of Virginia’s water treatment plants have been recognized for excellence in their filtration and treatment processes, and for their everyday operations.
The Virginia Department of Health‘s 2009 Excellence in Granular Media Water Treatment Plant Performance Awards were presented to 79 of the 131 treatment plants in the state that use “granular media gravity flow filters” to clean public water supplies. Granular media filters use sand and/or anthracite, garnet, activated carbon or other media to filter impurities from drinking water.
“These awards recognize those treatment plants that produce water that is at least three times cleaner than required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and those plants that demonstrate excellence in their day-to-day operations,” explained Dr. Wesley Kleene, director, Office of Drinking Water, Virginia Department of Health.
The awards are given according to three levels of performance:
- Bronze award recipients meet or exceed a minimum standard for filtration, at every filter during each month through the year. The filtered water is tested every 15 minutes.
- Silver award recipients meet or exceed the filtration standard, plus a standard for either water clarity or the filter backwash - or cleaning - process.
- Gold award recipients meet or exceed minimum standards for filtration, clarity, and the filter backwash process.
The award-earning facilities, listed by ODW Field Office, are:
- Abingdon Field Office [29 out of 38 water treatment plants]:
- GOLD (11): Appalachian Detention Center, Bland Community, Bristol Virginia Utility Board, Tazewell County Public Service Authority – Claypool Hill, Thomas Bridge Water Corporation, Town of Bluefield, Town of Fries, Town of Hillsville, Town of Lebanon, Town of St. Paul, Town of Wytheville
- SILVER (10): Blacksburg-Christiansburg-VPI Water Authority, City of Galax, City of Norton, Scott County Public Service Authority – Duffield, Town of Appalachia, Town of Gate City, Town of Marion, Town of Pennington Gap, Town of Richlands, Washington County Service Authority - Middle Fork Holston River
- BRONZE (8): City of Radford, Scott County Public Service Authority – Moccasin Gap, Tazewell County Public Service Authority – Greater Tazewell, Town of Coeburn, Town of Jonesville, Town of Pocahontas, Town of Pound, Town of Pulaski
- Lexington Field Office [21 out of 32 water treatment plants]:
- GOLD (2): Louisa County Water Authority – Northeast Creek, Town of Woodstock
- SILVER (5): City of Salem, Fluvanna Correctional Center for Women, Food Processors Water Cooperative, Town of Broadway, Town of Strasburg
- BRONZE (14): five Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority plants at Crozet, North Rivanna, Observatory, Scottsville and South Rivanna, Catawba Hospital, City of Harrisonburg, City of Staunton, Lake Monticello, two Frederick County Sanitation Authority plants – James T. Anderson and James Diehl, Rapidan Service Authority – Greene, Town of Bridgewater, City of Covington
- Southeast Virginia Field Office [3 out of 11 water treatment plants]:
- SILVER (2): City of Suffolk - Robert House, Jr., City of Williamsburg – Waller Mill
- BRONZE (1): City of Newport News - Lee Hall
- East Central Field Office [4 out of 7 water treatment plants]:
- GOLD (1): Hanover Suburban Water System – Doswell
- SILVER (1): Henrico County Water System
- BRONZE (2): Chesterfield County Central Water System – Addison/Evans, City of Richmond
- Danville Field Office [13 out of 27 water treatment plants]:
- GOLD (1): Halifax County Service Authority – Leigh Street
- SILVER (5): Campbell County Utilities and Service Authority, Henry County Public Service Authority - Upper Smith River, Town of Farmville, Town of Kenbridge, Town of Victoria
- BRONZE (7): Amherst County Service Authority, City of Lynchburg – Abert, City of Lynchburg – College Hill, Town of Amherst, Town of Clarksville, Town of Chatham, Town of Stuart
- Culpeper Field Office [9 out of 16 water treatment plants]:
- SILVER (3): Fairfax County Water Authority – J. J. Corbalis, Spotsylvania County Department of Utilities – Ni River, Town of Leesburg
- BRONZE (6): Stafford County Department of Utilities - Abel Lake, Fairfax County Water Authority – Griffith, Quantico Marine Base – Mainside, Spotsylvania County Department of Utilities – Motts Run, Town of Orange, Town of Purcellville