Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Protecting You and Your Environment Virginia Department of Health
Home | VDH Programs | Find It! A-Z Index | Newsroom | Administration | Jobs | Data
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter YouTube
   disclaimer

Newsroom


April 26, 2011

For More Information, Contact:

  • Lorene Allen, breast health coordinator, LENOWISO Health District, 276-346-2011
  • Cheryl C. Youland, executive director, Tri-Cities Affiliate, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, 423-765-9313

LENOWISCO HEALTH DISTRICT RECIEVES GRANT FROM KOMEN TRI-CITIES AFFILIATE TO MAKE BREAST HEALTH SERVICES MORE AFFORDABLE AND ACCESSIBLE

Cheryl C. Youland, Lorene Allen, Katie Skelton

L to R: Cheryl C. Youland, executive director, Komen Tri-Cities; Lorene Allen, coordinator, Lenowisco Komen Breast Health Program; Katie Skelton, mission coordinator, Komen Tri-Cities.

(WISE, Va.) – The Tri-Cities Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded $37,174 to the LENOWISCO Health District to provide breast screening and diagnostic services to women who are uninsured or underinsured, and between the ages of 18 and 64 years.

At local health department clinics in Lee, Scott, and Wise counties and the city of Norton, the grant will support “LENOWISCO Komen Breast Health,” an initiative to provide free screening mammograms and diagnostic tests for breast health, breast health education and healthcare navigation assistance. The initiative also provides outreach to women who have seldom or never received a screening mammogram, assistance in scheduling appointments and arranging transportation to appointments. The program will include physical examination, clinical breast examination, follow-up provided at the local health department and referral to a local community partner healthcare facility for screening mammogram and diagnostic testing.

“Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Tri-Cities Affiliate is one of 125 affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities,” said Lorene Allen, program coordinator. “Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.”

“At the Komen Tri-Cities Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our community and discovered the need for more women to be able to access breast screening and diagnostic services,” said Cheryl C. Youland, executive director. “We are confident that through the LENOWISCO Komen Breast Health program, more women living in Lee, Wise, and Scott counties and in Norton will be able to access breast healthcare services.”

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Tri-Cities Affiliate: Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure.The Komen Tri-Cities Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Tri-Cities Race for the Cure, the Tri-Cities Affiliate has invested $1.5 million in community breast cancer programs in 23 counties in Southwest Virginia, Western North Carolina and Northeast Tennessee. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the 23-county region. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 423-765-9313 or visit www.komentricities.org.

 

Last Updated: 07-30-2011

Printable Version

E-mail This Page