June 19, 2013
Lynchburg, Va. – The Blue Ridge Emergency Medical Services (BREMS) Council, Inc., honored the dedication and commitment of its Emergency Medical Services (EMS) providers at the council’s regional awards ceremony May 23, 2013, held in Lynchburg.
“We truly appreciate our EMS providers, all of whom dedicate their time and lives to serving our community and citizens,” said Connie Purvis, executive director of the Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc. “These awards are given in recognition of the extraordinary support each winner has provided to the BREMS regionand, in some cases, to statewide EMS activities. Though we would like toaward every EMS agency and provider in the region,only a few can be chosen each year. The names and agencies nominated this year represent the best of 2012-2013.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards compete for the 2013 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 10, in Norfolk, Va. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“The Regional EMS Awards program gives each council the opportunity to showcase the remarkable acts of service demonstrated by their local EMS providers. Congratulations, and thank you, to this year’s recipients who have proven their excellence by going above and beyond the call of duty,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2013 Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc., Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Marilyn K. McLeod, M.D., BREMS Regional OMD
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Provider – James E. Mitchell, Lynchburg Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Physician – Stephen Ausband, M.D., Bedford County
- Outstanding EMS Pre-Hospital Educator – Lisa M. Aiken, BREMS Training Coordinator, Amherst County
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Lisa R. Jamerson, Centra One
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Connie R. Purvis, Blue Ridge EMS Council
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Campbell County Public Safety
- Outstanding Contributions to EMS Health & Safety – Centra Health- Centra One
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Lucinda DeMarco, M.D., Centra
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Officer/Dispatcher – Jeff Johnson, Bedford County 911 Communications
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior (2013 Linda Boon Educational Award)– Jacob G. Dorr, Campbell County Rescue Squad