July 26, 2013
(Staunton, Va.) – The Central Shenandoah Emergency Medical Services (CSEMS) Council, Inc., recognized the exceptional service exemplified by its local Emergency Medical Services (EMS) providers at the council’s regional awards program and picnic held July 24, 2013 at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton, Va.
“Each year, there are EMS providers and system participants who stand out for their extraordinary accomplishments,” said Chad Blosser, executive director of the Central Shenandoah EMS Council.“Some recipients have demonstrated a superior level of commitment to patient care, some have made strides toward improving the local EMS system and others have made significant ancillary contributions. It’s important that the system acknowledges their contributions toward public health, safety and wellness.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards compete for the 2013 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 10, in Norfolk, Va. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“The Regional EMS Awards program gives each council the opportunity to showcase the remarkable acts of service demonstrated by their local EMS providers. Congratulations, and thank you, to this year’s recipients who have proven their excellence by going above and beyond the call of duty,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2013 Central Shenandoah EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Wayne Peer, Rockingham County Fire & Rescue
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Nazir Adam, MD, RMH Healthcare
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Kenneth Via, Augusta County Emergency Communications Center
- Outstanding Pre–Hospital Educator – Jolene Powell, Rockingham County Fire & Rescue
- Outstanding Pre–Hospital Provider – Patricia Mays, Buena Vista Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Grottoes Volunteer Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Chris Vernovai, Highland County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Krystal Caricofe, RMH Healthcare
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Alexandra Holloway, Grottoes Volunteer Fire Department
- Kevin Sperka Memorial Award – Brandon Sites, Broadway Emergency Squad