June 19, 2013
Roanoke, Va. – The Western Virginia Emergency Medical Services Council, Inc., proudly recognizes the outstanding service demonstrated by its Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel at the council’s regional awards ceremony held June 13, 2013, at the Vinton War Memorial in Vinton, Va.
“We are proud to honor these exceptional individuals and organizations. The profound dedication, innovation and commitment demonstrated by each of the award recipients, along with so many others across the region, position our EMS system as one of the best!”said Rob Logan, executive director of the Western Virginia EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards compete for the 2013 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 10, in Norfolk, Va. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“The Regional EMS Awards program gives each council the opportunity to showcase the remarkable acts of service demonstrated by their local EMS providers. Congratulations, and thank you, to this year’s recipients who have proven their excellence by going above and beyond the call of duty,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2013 Western EMS Council Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Steve F. Allen, Patrick County Emergency Services
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS (The Dr. Cheryl B. Haas Award) –Gerald “Wook” Beltran, D.O., Carilion Clinic, Roanoke County Fire and EMS
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Zachary Beckner, Roanoke City
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Educator – Ted Anderson, Jr., Martinsville Fire and EMS
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Provider – Joseph Brian Hollins, Salem Fire and EMS Department
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Salem Fire and EMS Department
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Joseph A. Coyle, Christiansburg Rescue
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000) – Lennon Ross, Blacksburg Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Rebecca J. Garnett, RN, MSN, Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Billy Thompson, LPN, Carilion Clinic, Roanoke Memorial
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health & Safety – Carilion Clinic Life Guard
Special Recognition (Benny Summerlin Award for Service to Local Government):
- R. Carey Harveycutter, Jr. – City of Salem
- Ford S. Wirt – Floyd County