June 20, 2014
(GAINESVILLE, Va.) The Northern Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. acknowledged the tremendous level of service shown by EMS personnel throughout the region at the 2014 regional EMS awards held June 12 at the Fairfax Fire Station 40.
“These regional EMS providers represent the dedication and commitment to excellence that is responsible for the extraordinary response system that we have in Northern Virginia,” said Greg Rauch, president of the Northern Virginia EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2014 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 8 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It’s an honor to celebrate the high level of excellence demonstrated by those within the Virginia EMS System. Their dedication and commitment to serve at a moment’s notice, often times putting their own lives on the line, is greatly valued and worthy of recognition,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2014 Northern Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Melinda J. Duncan, Northern Virginia EMS Council, Evergreen Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- Outstanding EMS Agency – City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – StarKid
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Jeffrey Merryman, Alexandria Fire Department
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Dr. Thomas Luckey, City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Kelsea Bonkoski, Alexandria Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – James Blivin, Alexandria Fire Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior – Patrick Connor Smith, Loudoun County Volunteer Rescue Squad