June 29, 2015
(NORFOLK, Va.) – The Tidewater Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. recognized the tremendous level of service demonstrated by EMS personnel at the council’s regional EMS awards ceremony held June 28 during “Family Day at the Ballpark” at Harbor Park stadium in Norfolk.
“So many of our regional EMS responders deserve to be honored for their remarkable work, so it’s hard to choose just a few,” said Jim Chandler, executive director of the Tidewater EMS Council. “However, this year’s winners represented the strength of EMS providers who have had a positive influence in the community and in the Tidewater region. The winner of our top award, Excellence in EMS, was even responsible for making an impact in emergency services on an international level!”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2015 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 14 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“We recognize all Virginia EMS providers who consistently demonstrate their commitment to saving lives and protecting the citizens of the Commonwealth. Their willingness to put their own lives on the line for the well-being of the community is honorable and appreciated,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2015 Tidewater EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS (R.C. Dailey Award) – W. Lawrence Daniels, Nansemond Suffolk Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Administrator (Bruce W. Edwards Award) – Ernest “Bryan” Rush, Town of Chincoteague EMS
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Gillian Gallego- Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Nickolas C. Askew, Chesapeake Fire Department/Ocean Park Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician (Frank M. Yeiser Award) – Joel Michael, M.D., Emergency Physicians of Tidewater
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Susan Henry, RN, Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator (James M. Wagenbach Award) – Brian McIntosh, Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Officer – William Drewery, Isle of Wight County Emergency Dispatcher