July 6, 2015
(ROANOKE, Va.) – The Western Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. recognized local EMS personnel for their outstanding level of service and dedication at the council’s regional EMS awards ceremony held June 11, 2015 at the Vinton War Memorial.
“The Western Virginia EMS Council congratulates all of the winners of this year’s regional EMS awards. These winners exemplify the best in EMS and we are proud to recognize their effort. We wish them the best as they compete for the 2015 Governor’s EMS Awards,” said Rob Logan, executive director of the Western Virginia EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2015 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 14 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“We recognize all Virginia EMS providers who consistently demonstrate their commitment to saving lives and protecting the citizens of the Commonwealth. Their willingness to put their own lives on the line for the well-being of the community is honorable and appreciated,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2015 Western Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Richard Lindsey Arnold, Cave Spring Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Althea McDaniel, LifeCare Medical Transport, Inc.
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Riner Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Susan M. Smith, Carilion Clinic Life-Guard
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Elliot D. Carhart, Ed.D., Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- Outstanding EMS Provider – Nicholas Coalson, Sr., Riner Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician (Dr. Cheryl B. Hass Award) – Eric K. Stanley, D.O., Blacksburg Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Travis L. Pruitt, County of Henry
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Emma R. Duff, Cave Spring Rescue Squad
- Benny Summerlin Award for Service to Local Government – Clarence C. Monday, Bassett Rescue Squad, Life Member