June 26, 2017
For More Information Contact
- Craig Evans, executive director
Northern Virginia EMS Council, Inc.
- Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(GAINESVILLE, Va.) – The Northern Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. honored recipients of the annual Regional EMS awards, June 8, at the Fairfax Fire Department in Fairfax. The council celebrated its local EMS personnel and awarded nominees who were considered by their peers to possess exceptional levels of service.
“The Regional EMS Awards for excellence in EMS are vital to our region,” said Craig Evans, executive director of the Northern Virginia EMS Council. “We have so many talented and caring providers and it’s important to slow down from our normal routine and take the time to acknowledge all the great things that are happening on a daily basis.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 11, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It is so important that we recognize and honor the men and women who serve on the front line of our health care system,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to being ready at a moment’s notice to protect and provide quality care warrants the utmost respect and appreciation.”
The 2017 Northern Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Marcia Pescitani, Northern Virginia EMS Council
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Johanna Kushan, Inova Loudoun Hospital
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Andrew Hopkins, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Matthew Heppner, City of Manassas Fire and Rescue
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Richard Peter Verrier IV, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, Oakton High School, Falls Church High School Fire/EMS Academy