July 5, 2017
For More Information Contact
Maggie King, field coordinator
Southwest Virginia EMS Council, Inc.
276-628-4151 x 210
Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(BRISTOL, Va.) – The Southwest Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. paid tribute to its region’s EMS personnel June 17 at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion. The council presented top honors to those who were nominated by their peers for their remarkable accomplishments in the EMS field.
“The Regional EMS Awards program raises awareness of the outstanding work being done by our region’s heroes,” said Greg Woods, executive director of Southwest Virginia EMS Council, Inc. “I think it is important to recognize all of the excellent work that happens behind the scenes to ensure the health and safety of our region’s citizens.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 11, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It is so important that we recognize and honor the men and women who serve on the front line of our health care system,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to being ready at a moment’s notice to protect and provide quality prehospital care warrants the utmost respect and appreciation.”
The 2017 Southwest Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Mac R. Clifton, (posthumously) Abingdon Ambulance Service
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Kevin Austin, Abingdon Ambulance Service
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Washington County Lifesaving Crew, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Far Southwest Healthcare Coalition
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Charlie Smith, Southwest Virginia CISM Team
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Robin Garnand, R.N., Med-Flight II
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician – John B. Patterson, M.D., Johnston Memorial Hospital
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Sheffey Bram Massie, Mountain Empire Community College
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Crystal Faulkner, Fries Fire and Rescue
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Noelani Scott, Washington County Virginia Sheriff’s Office
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Justin A. Daniels, Dismal River Rescue Squad