June 15, 2017
For More Information Contact
- Cathy Cockrell, education program director
Western Virginia EMS Council, Inc.
- Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(ROANOKE, Va.) – The Western Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc., paid tribute to local EMS personnel for their selfless acts of service at the council’s annual awards ceremony, May 23, at the American Legion in Salem. Regional award winners were nominated by their peers for their high level of achievements in the EMS field.
“This year’s award winners were well-qualified and deserving of their honors. They were a great representation of their entities and planning districts,” said Cathy Cockrell, education program director of the Western Virginia EMS Council.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 11, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“It is so important that we recognize and honor the men and women who serve on the frontline of our health care system,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to being ready at a moment’s notice to protect and provide quality prehospital care warrants the utmost respect and appreciation.”
The 2017 Western Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Daryl Hatcher, Franklin County Public Safety
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Chris Eyestone, Virginia Tech Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Preparedness and Response – Marci Stone, Roanoke Fire and EMS
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Andrea “Andi” Wright, Carilion Clinic
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Michael Garnett, Western Virginia EMS Council
- Outstanding EMS Provider – Lois Whitlow, Bassett Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician (Dr. Cheryl B. Hass Award) – Michael Saccocci, D.O, HCA Virginia, Lewis Gale Salem
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Donna Brown, Henry County 911
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – James Keith Blankenship, Carilion Clinic
- Benny Summerlin Award for Service to Local Government –Kenneth Neal Turner, Montgomery County Emergency Services