Nov. 20, 2017
For More Information Contact
- Marian Hunter, public relations coordinator
Virginia Department of Health
- Tristen Graves, public relations assistant
Virginia Department of Health
(RICHMOND, Va.) – The 2017 Governor’s Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Award winners were announced recently at the 38th Annual Governor’s EMS Awards Ceremony in Norfolk, Virginia. Governor Terry McAuliffe recognized 11 outstanding EMS providers and organizations from across the Commonwealth for their demonstrated level of excellence and dedication to the EMS system.
The awards are presented in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Health’s Office of Emergency Medical Services Annual EMS Symposium. This weeklong training event is the largest EMS training event in the Commonwealth and one of the largest in the nation. The symposium welcomes more than 1,700 participants and issues approximately 21,245 hours of continuing education credits (CE) via more than 360 class sessions. A cumulative total of 42,000 CE hours can be awarded at this training event.
“It is an honor to recognize Virginia’s EMS providers and humbling when I think about the work that they do 24/7, 365 days a year. I am inspired by their level of excellence and commitment to Virginia’s EMS system,” said State Health Commissioner Marissa J. Levine, MD, MPH, FAAFP. “Congratulations to the winners of the 2017 Governor’s EMS Awards and thank you for being there for all Virginians in need. The people of Virginia are grateful for your heroic efforts day in and day out, and as the State Health Commissioner, I too am grateful for your heroism and dedicated service.”
“It is always my distinct privilege and honor to acknowledge EMS providers and health care organizations in Virginia for their continued level of excellence in the field,” said Gary Brown, director, Office of EMS. “Every day, EMS providers are faced with life or death situations, and it’s because of their bravery, steadfast commitment, knowledge and training that they continue to provide the best prehospital patient care available. I am so thankful and appreciative for their continued support of our statewide EMS system; one of the greatest EMS systems in the nation.”
The 2017 Governor’s EMS Award winners are:
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Excellence in EMS – Bruce W. Edwards, Virginia Beach EMS, Ocean Park Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Administrator (The Kent J. Weber Trophy) – Kevin Austin, Abingdon Ambulance Service, C-Trans Medical Service
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS (The Frank M. Yeiser Trophy) – Jeffrey D. Ferguson, M.D., VCU Health Systems
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – June Leffke, R.N., Centra Health, Inc., Boonsboro Rescue Squad
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Prehospital Educator – Donna M. Galganski- Pabst, James City County Fire Department
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Prehospital Provider – Benjamin R. Bond, Centra Health, Inc.
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Ellen Vest, Middlesex Volunteer Rescue Squad, Rappahannock Community College
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Far Southwest Healthcare Coalition
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Agency – Blacksburg Volunteer RescueSquad
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Telecommunication – Cindy Gillespie, Powhatan County of Virginia Sheriff’s Office
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Emergency Preparedness and Response (The James A. Nogle, Jr. Trophy) – LifeCare Medical Transports
An additional award is presented at the ceremony to recognize the outstanding contributions to EMS by a high school senior. This is a scholarship award provided by the State EMS Advisory Board.
- The Governor’s EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior (The Dr. Carol Gilbert $5,000 Scholarship) – Jacob Wellerman, Chancellor Volunteer Fire and Rescue