- Always use a helmet, head/tail lights and reflectors on your bicycle.
- Helmets should be labeled as meeting the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets.
- A bicycle helmet should fit comfortably and snugly.
- Follow traffic signals and use hand signals.
- Always wear reflective clothing at night to increase visibility.
- Supervise young children around traffic at all times. Hold the hand of a young child when crossing the street.
- Walk on sidewalks and use marked crosswalks when crossing the street.
- Walk facing traffic.