- The 2014, National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) application cycle is now open to medical students in their last year of school that are committed to pursuing a career in primary care and working in underserved communities. Award recipients receive up to $12,000 for three years of full time service or six years of part-time service. The application cycle closes November 14, 2013 at 7:30pm ET.
- Due to the government shutdown, the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy has made changes to the Rural Health Network Development funding opportunity, pushing back the due date for all applications to December 6, 2013. For more information on this funding announcement please visit http://www.grants.gov/view-opportunity.html?oppId=243713
Webinars and Technical Assistance
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will be hosting a webinar on November 19, 2013 from 2-3pm EST. Focusing on a new regulation that requires all medical examiners that provide physical exams for bus and truck drivers be trained and listed in national registry. The line will be limited to 200 participants. If you are unable to call in the webinar will be archived on the FMCSA website. For more information please visit https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov
Register (day of the webinar): https://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/ntc-a
Call in: (800) 260-0719
Participant Access: 307684
- In honor of National Rural Health Day, November 21st the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy and the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health will be holding a webinar on the Affordable Care Act in Rural America.
Thursday, November 21st 3:00pm-4:00pm EST
The Affordable Care Act
The Federal Office of Rural Health Policy will be holding weekly office hours onWednesday, November 13th from 3-4pm EST featuring the work of the Kentucky State Office of Rural Health. To read more about the first month of open enrollment in Kentucky, see the recent articles in the Huffington Post and New York Times.
Call-in Number: (800) 857-3749
Adobe Connect Session: https://hrsa.connectsolutions.com/orh1/
These weekly office hours are open to all rural health stakeholders. If you have any question before or after the call please email ORHP-ACAQuestions@hrsa.gov
Previous recording of ORHP’s Office Hours can be found at:
Other Useful Information and Resources
- CMS is requesting nominations for positions on the Advisory Panel on Hospital Outpatient Payment. Nominations are open until December 31st for the five positions. This panel advises CMS on payment changes for the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS). It also recommends levels of supervision for various outpatient therapeutic services. Panel members must have at least 5 years of relevant experience and be employed full time by an organization paid under OPPS. This is an opportunity for rural stakeholders to nominate qualified applicants with expertise on payment issues. Additional information about the panel and instructions for submitting nominations are available at: http://federalregister.gov/a/2013-26258
- On Thursday, November 21, the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORHH), all 50 State Offices of Rural Health and other rural stakeholders throughout the country will celebrate National Rural Health Day for the third consecutive year. NOSORH created National Rural Health Day in 2011 as a way to “Celebrate the Power of Rural” and showcase the good work being performed in rural communities across America. The celebration also provides an opportunity to raise awareness of the unique healthcare issues facing rural citizens and promote the efforts of State Offices of Rural Health, rural health clinics, critical access hospitals, networksand other rural stakeholders in addressing those issues.
Top 5 things you might want to do for National Rural Health Day if you don’t already have something planned…
Please feel free to call or email NOSORH , email@example.com you have any questions or suggestions; you can also visit the National Rural Health Day website at celebratepowerofrural.org for additional information and a host of resources to help you plan your celebration.
- Go to celebratepowerofrural.org to get our logo and post it on your website
- Plan an email, tweet, press release, event or webinar of your own to thank rural providers and stake holders.
- Share success stories about efforts to improve rural health in your state.
- Join NOSORH for free webinars to be conducted on November 21st. For more information look under the resource tab.
- Reach out to policy makers and leaders in your state to listen in on NOSORH webinars to learn more about rural health issues or organize a call and invite them to listen in to the needs of rural people in your community.