Chronic Disease Prevention
In September of 2014, the Prince William Health District was awarded a 4-year federal grant which focuses on chronic disease prevention, specifically adult obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. The grant includes two main components, each focusing on a different area of chronic disease prevention.
Component 1 focuses on environmental approaches to promote and reinforce healthy behaviors. In an effort to make the healthy choice the easier choice, one focus of this component is to increase access and availability of nutritious foods and opportunities to increase physical activity. Additionally, this component also focuses on building support for lifestyle change program participation.
Plan First Insurance Program
What is Plan First?
Plan First is a program that helps to cover medical costs of family planning services, sexually transmitted infection testing, periodic office visits and reproductive health education for men and women. If you are eligible for the program, you will be able to access these services for free.
Who is eligible for Plan First?
Any man or women who:
- Is between the ages of 19 and 55
- Is a resident of Virginia
- Is a citizen or alien
- Has an income less than or equal to 200% of the federal poverty level*
|Family Size||Yearly Income||Monthly Income|
*If you are under 21 years old and living with your parents, the full household’s income will be taken into account. If you are under 21 years old and living outside of your family’s home, parent income will not affect your eligibility.
What services are covered by Plan First?
- Annual family planning exams
- Cervical cancer screening for women
- Sexually transmitted infection testing
- Lab services for family planning and STI testing
- Education and counseling on family planning, STIs and preconception health
- Sterilization procedures (extra consent form for procedure must be signed at least 30 days before the surgery is performed)
- Most Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved prescription or over-the-counter contraceptives
- Emergency Contraception
What services are NOT covered by Plan First?
- Performance of, counseling for or recommendations of abortions
- Infertility treatments
- Performance of a hysterectomy or partial hysterectomy
- Follow up services to a family planning visit
- Repeat PAPs due to abnormal results
- Annual exams if they are not performed within the family planning visit
- Primary care services
- Services which do not have an approved billing code available at www.planfirst.org
How to enroll in Plan First:
For more information about Medicaid, FAMIS, and Plan First visit coverva.org
Get help with this application – Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282
Bring in/send the completed, signed and dated application to the Prince William County Department of SocialServices in Manassas (7987 Ashton Ave., Suite 200, Manassas, VA 20109) or Woodbridge (15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 180, Woodbridge, VA 22191).
Contact the Department of Medical Assistance Services: PlanFirst@dmas.virginia.gov
For more information, visit www.planfirst.org