Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. The US Government passed HIPAA legislation in 1996.
The purpose of HIPAA is threefold:
- Increase access to healthcare
- Reduce fraud and abuse
- Protect Health Information.
Who is impacted by HIPAA?
- Federal regulations require “Covered Entities” to be in full compliance with HIPAA regulations by April 14, 2003.
What is a “covered entity”
- Health plans
- Health care clearing houses
- Health care providers who transmit any health information in electronic form in connection with a transaction covered by HIPAA. (Example: claims, remittance advice; and fund transfers).