WIC is a special supplemental food program for Women, Infants and Children. Participants receive nutrition education and are issued vouchers to buy specific foods that promote the health and growth of children.
Program services include:
- Individual nutrition assessment
- Up-to-date nutrition information
- Breastfeeding information and support
- Vouchers for nutritious foods, such as milk, cheese, juice, cereal, eggs, peanut butter, dry beans, and supplemental infant formula
- Information on community resources
For more information on the WIC program go to the WIC Federal Government site
Who is eligible for WIC?
Pregnant (6 months), Post Partum or Breastfeeding (up to 1 year)
Under one year of age (birth to 11 months)
Under five years of age – once child turns five years old, he/she is no longer eligible for the WIC program.
All applicants must qualify both financially and nutritionally.
What you need to bring to your appointment
- Your child
- Proof of income for the entire household (pay stubs, Medicaid card, food stamp letter)
- Proof of identity (driver’s license, birth certificate, social security card)
- Proof of residency (utility bill or other item with your name and street address)
- WIC folder (recertification only)
- Immunization record
- Proof of pregnancy from a doctor
- Proof of birth for children/infants
For more information on eligibility, please check our eligibility information section
How do I get an appointment?
- Call your local Richmond City Health District WIC office:
Southside Plaza WIC Office
509 East Southside Plaza
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Richmond City Health District WIC Office
400 East Cary Street
Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Richmond Community Hospital WIC Office
1510 North 28th Street, Room 208
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
WIC is an Equal Opportunity Program. If you believe that you have been discriminated against due to race, color, national origin, age, sex or handicap, write immediately to the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington, DC 20250
For health tips, events, recipes and nutrition information, visit our blog athttp://richmondwic.blogspot.com