WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Supplemental Food Program
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) helps pregnant women, mothers, infants and young children stay healthy and eat right during important times of growth.
Program services include:
- Quality nutrition education and counseling
- Breastfeeding support, services and supplies
- A healthy food package including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk & more
- Referrals to community partners and access to prenatal, maternal and pediatric health care services.
For more information on the WIC please visit the USDA website
WIC is for all types of families – families with married or single parents and those working or not working.
WIC provides benefits to:
- Pregnant women
- Children up to their fifth birthday
- Breastfeeding mothers up to one year after delivering their baby
- Postpartum women who are not breastfeeding up to six months after delivering their baby
If you are a mother, father, foster parent or other legal guardian of a child under 5 years of age, you can apply for your child.
All families must meet income eligibility guidelines, which can be found here. WIC has higher income guidelines than SNAP (EBT, Food Stamps) or Medicaid, so even if you don’t qualify for SNAP or Medicaid, you may still qualify for WIC.
This video will give you some tips to help make your WIC shopping experience more positive:
Location, Hours and Contact:
Southside Plaza WIC Office
509 East Southside Plaza – Phone: 804-205-9816
Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
*The third Tuesday of every month the clinic is open until 7:00 p.m.
Richmond City Health District WIC Office
400 East Cary Street – Phone: 804-482-5446
Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
*The first Tuesday of every month the clinic is open until 7:00 p.m.
Richmond Community Hospital WIC Office
1510 North 28th Street, Room 208 – Phone: 804-786-3201
Monday 8:00 – 4:30 and Wednesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This office is currently closed on Tuesdays. Please call 482-5446 if you need to reach another WIC office.