Free car seats available to families who qualify. Parents attend a short class to learn the correct placement and use of the car seat.
To apply, applicants must be:
- Eligible for Medicaid or FAMIS or qualify by income
- Legal residents of Virginia
- Women in the last three months of pregnancy or
- Parent, legal guardian or foster parent
Complete the application below and return to your local health department.
Virginia Child Safety Seat Program
The Move2Health coalition aims to encourage healthy eating and active living for residents of the Thomas Jefferson Health District (TJHD).
Mission: Move2Health is a collaborative partnership that promotes healthy communities through education, advocacy, and evidence-based programming.
Vision: Healthy communities with equitable access to nutritious foods and diverse opportunities to be active.
Contact: (434) 972-6207
Community coalition coordinating efforts to reduce infant mortality/morbidity and associated racial disparities in Charlottesville and Albemarle.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Pregnancy
Click here to download the resource guide
Through home visits, public health nurses:
- Coordinate medical appointments
- Provide information on prenatal care, the birth process, infant care, parenting and community resources
- Medicaid-eligible pregnant women and children up to two years of age with medical, social or nutritional needs
- May serve others as needed
Virginia Department of Health BabyCare program
Public health nurses perform screenings to determine eligibility for nursing home placement or personal care at home
Persons who qualify for Medicaid
The Charlottesville Area Safe Sleep Program educates parents and caregivers on the importance of safe sleep in the prevention of SIDS. A limited number of cribs are available by agency referral to high-risk households meeting income guidelines.
- Community organizations requesting SIDS presentations or materials on safe sleep
- Agencies that wish to provide crib referrals; program training is provided
- Anyone with questions about safe sleep and preventing SIDS
Cribs for Kids® National Infant Safe Sleep Initiative
Cribs for Kids
First Candle/SIDS Alliance
National SUIDS/SIDS Resource Center
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission