VDH remembers and honors our veterans this Memorial Day. During this weekend make healthy and safe choices. Follow these tips for a safe and enjoyable weekend:
- Supervise children when in or around water.
- Never leave infants, children, or pets in a parked car, even if the windows are cracked open.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully, for morning and evening hours.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF (sun protection factor) 15 and UVA (ultraviolet A) and UVB (ultraviolet B) protection every time you and your child go outside.
- Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents with one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin, IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or para-menthane-diol. When used as directed, EPA-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breast-feeding women. Do not use insect repellent on babies younger than 2 months old.
- Bacteria grows faster in warm temperatures so be sure that foods don’t spend more than one hour sitting out when the temperature is above 90 ˚F or two hours when temperatures are below 90 ˚F.
Learn more safety tips.