- Overall respiratory illness activity is stable near baseline levels.
- Although the WHO mpox PHEIC declaration ended last week, CDC cautioned that mpox cases may rise over the next few months due to increases in gatherings and events. Chicago is currently experiencing a resurgence of mpox with 12 confirmed cases and one probable case.
- Traffic accident fatalities are on the rise in Virginia. Hampton Roads led all metropolitan areas in Virginia for vehicle crashes in 2022.
- Two EF1 tornados touched down in Southwest Virginia causing limited damage.
- VDH launched the SARS-CoV-2 wastewater surveillance dashboard on Thursday.
This page updates weekly on Friday by 5:00 PM.
The VDH OEP Weekly Situation Update is produced by the VDH Office of Emergency Preparedness. This update covers ongoing or potential public health issues, including COVID-19. This product is intended to enhance situational awareness among the public health, healthcare, and emergency management communities. Some items covered may pose little or no threat to the public at large. For instance, an Ebola outbreak occurring outside of the United States would pose virtually no risk to Virginians, but emergency preparedness resources may be activated to coordinate efforts to monitor, quarantine, and potentially treat travelers arriving from affected countries. The update includes links to publicly available data and news sources. These items are included for situational awareness only and do not represent an endorsement of the source or information therein.