In response to increasing cases of COVID-19 in Virginia's long-term care facilities, Governor Northam established the Virginia COVID-19 Long-Term Care Task Force on April 10 to:
- Ensure long-term care facilities have the resources they need to combat the virus;
- Strengthen staffing, testing and infection control measures at long-term care facilities; and
- Keep stakeholders informed about the impact of COVID-19 on long-term care facilities.
Issue areas being reviewed by the Task Force include facility staffing and financing, infection control, personal protective equipment and supplies, COVID-19 testing, communications, and discharge planning.
Membership of the task force is broad based, including:
- State agency representatives
- Long term care facility representatives
- Medicaid managed care organizations
- The Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association
- Family members of long-term care facility residents and their advocates
Virginia LTC COVID-19 Data
Guidance for Long-Term Care Facilities
- (NEW) VDH Portal for Reporting Point-of-Care COVID-19 Lab Results (9/16/20)
- Instructions: This portal will assist testing sites in meeting the requirement of the CARES Act to report every diagnostic and screening test performed to detect SARS-CoV-2 or to diagnose a possible case of COVID-19. This portal allows the rapid entry of person-level test results for positive and negative point-of-care results, and provides the ability to enter aggregate negative results as necessary for high-volume testing sites. All COVID-19 test results should be reported to VDH within 24 hours. Testing sites that are not conducting POC tests, should report results per standard protocols.
- (NEW) Nursing Home Notification Form to Health Department Regarding Inability to Perform Routine Staff Testing (9/16/20)
- Instructions: Nursing homes can use this form to notify the local health department that your facility is unable to perform routine staff testing according to CMS requirements (i.e., access to point-of-care testing or a private/commercial lab with a turnaround time < 48 hours).
- CMS Nursing Home Testing Requirements(8/26/20)
- VDH Guidance for Public Health Prioritization of COVID-19 Point Prevalence Surveys (8/19/20)
- CDC Considerations for Interpreting Antigen Test Results in Nursing Homes (8/28/20)
- CDC – Testing for Coronavirus in Nursing Homes
- (NEW) Management of Hemodialysis Patients Residing in Long Term Care Facilities (10/1/20)
- Recommendations for Hospitalized Patients Being Discharged to a Long-Term Care Facility During the COVID-19 Pandemic (8/25/20)
- Department of Medical Assistance Services CARES Act Enrollment and Reimbursement
- Virginia COVID-19 Long-Term Care Facility Task Force Playbook (7/10/20)
- VDH Facility Employee Daily Screening Form
- VDH Optimization Strategies for PPE
- VDH Role of Public Health and LTCFs in Preparedness and Response Efforts (6/15/20)
- VDH Guidelines for Cleaning and Disinfection
- VDH Line List for COVID-19 Outbreaks
- OSHA COVID-19 Guidance for Nursing Home and Long Term Care Facility Workers
- Recommendations for Reopening Assisted Living Facilities
- COVID-19 Virginia Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) Weekly Use Survey for Assisted Living Facilities
- Communal Activities Tips and Best Practices
- Transportation Tips and Best Practices
- COVID-19 Mitigation Plan for Assisted Living Facilities
- Barber and Cosmetology Tips and Best Practices
- Communal Dining Tips and Best Practices
- Visitors Tips and Best Practices
- CMS Visitation Guidance For Nursing Homes (9/18/20)
- CMS Nursing Home Testing Requirements (8/26/2020)
- CMS FAQ on Nursing Home Visitation (6/23/2020)
- CMS Nursing Home Reopening Recommendations (5/18/2020)
- CMS Nursing Home Reopening Recommendations FAQ (5/18/2020)
- CMS Guidance for COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities (4/2/2020)
- CMS Nursing Home Five Star Quality Rating System Updates, Nursing Home Staff Counts, and FAQs(4/27/2020)
- CMS Program Guidance and Information About COVID-19
The Task Force understands the critical impact social interactions and mental well-being have on all Virginians, especially those residing in long-term care facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Virginia's Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program can assist in resolving concerns about the quality of life or care services provided in long-term care settings.
On September 18, 2020, CMS released CMS Visitation Guidance for Nursing Homes, which is currently under review by VDH.
Limited visitation in an assisted living community is based on the facility's specific circumstances and available resources. Please refer to the Tips and Best Practices for Reopening to Visitors in Assisted Living Facilities provided by the Virginia Department of Social Services for additional guidance and considerations.
Below are some resources available to assist with coping with the stress of social isolation and social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- VDH: Coping with Stress
- VA DBHDS: Coping with COVID-19: General Resources for Mental Health and Well-Being
- CDC: Coping with Stress
- CDC: Stress and Coping
- AARP: How to Fight the Social Isolation of Coronavirus