Congregate residential settings, including homeless shelters, must implement activities to minimize the impact of COVID-19 and other respiratory virus infections in these facilities. Homeless shelters are encouraged to maintain operations and provide essential services to those in need. These facilities have not been required to close under any of Governor Ralph Northam’s executive orders. There are steps these facilities can take to protect vulnerable populations. Many of these steps must continue while community spread of COVID-19 continues, even if restrictions are loosened in other settings.
- Questions about homelessness can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting Specific Resources:
- VDH Guidance for Public Health Prioritization of COVID-19 Point Prevalence Surveys (8/19/20)
- VDH FAQs and search for Special Populations
- VDH and DHCD COVID-19 Quick Reference for Homeless Shelters (4/1/2020)
- VDH and DHCD Guidance for Hotels/Motels being used as Temporary Shelter for the Homeless Population (4/1/2020)
- VDH Interim Guidance for Group/Congregate Day Program Settings (2/17/2021)
- DHCD Homelessness and Housing Assistance Directory
- CDC Resources to Support People Experiencing Homelessness
- CDC Checklist for Homeless Service Providers During Community Re-opening