September 6, 2023
Dear OEMS Symposium Registrant:
I am writing to regretfully inform you that the 2023 Virginia EMS Symposium scheduled for November 8-12, 2023, has been cancelled.
The Office of EMS experienced a budget shortfall in the last fiscal year. Our leadership team is re-evaluating all spending in order to ensure that our focus is on our core activity of carrying out essential programs that ensure a comprehensive, coordinated EMS system in the Commonwealth. Due to the cost of the Symposium, which is not an essential program, we have decided to cancel it this year.
We understand that many EMS providers obtain CE hours during the Symposium. There are many other educational opportunities that continue to be available. These include the following resources:
- VectorSolutions – A free online continuing education learning platform: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/emergency-medical-services/education-certification/provider-resources/vectorsolutions-online-continuing-education/
- Additional online education resources: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/emergency-medical-services/education-certification/provider-resources/web-based-continuing-education/
- Regional EMS Councils’ sponsored education courses: www.vaems.org
- EMS training course locator: https://vdhems.vdh.virginia.gov/emsapps/f?p=200:4
- Agencies and organizationally sponsored courses, including those offered by hospitals and other public safety organizations.
In the event you are unable to attain the needed CE hours to re-certify by your expiration date because of the cancellation of the symposium, you may request a variance to the expiration date of your certification. The link to apply for a variance is located at: https://vdhems.vdh.virginia.gov/emsapps/f?p=LCR:EXCEPTION
We have developed FAQs to provide information regarding reimbursement of registration fees and hotel deposits. Please see the enclosed FAQs or email OEMS Director Gary Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions that are not addressed by the FAQs.
Virginia Department of Health