Virginia Department of Health personnel inspect lodging facilities (hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts) under the Sanitary Regulations for Hotels. These regulations establish standards that protect the health and safety of lodging establishment patrons.
- Appropriate water supply and sewage disposal
- Cleanliness and repair of general facilities, including floors, walls, and furniture
- Cleanliness and condition of all linens, including sheets, blankets, and towels, and proper laundering procedures.
- Mattress and box spring cleanliness and condition
- Bathroom cleanliness and condition
- Vector and pest control
- Adequate garbage storage and removal
- Proper cleaning and storage of any provided kitchenware (glasses, cups, etc.)
- Proper storage of cleaning chemicals and any other toxic substances (paints, pesticides, etc.)
Full detail of all regulatory requirements can be found in the Sanitary Regulations for Hotels.
If you have a concern or complaint about a lodging facility, please contact your local health department.