Environmental Health Services

Please note that the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is focused on the safety and health of Virginians.  The top priority for our Environmental Health (EH) staff is assisting in the agency’s efforts related to COVID-19 and answering your questions and concerns about EH programs as they relate to COVID-19.  Staff will continue to investigate public health and environmental complaints; however, other programmatic priorities (e.g. inspections) may shift as resources are directed to the COVID-19 response.  Due to the high volume of complaints received regarding Executive Orders 63 and 67, response time may be delayed.

LaSalle Center (757) 727-2570

Email: HamptonHealthDepartment@vdh.virginia.gov

The Environmental Health Division protects the citizens of Hampton with a wide range of services, including: inspection of all food establishments, hotels, motels, tattoo parlors, and body piercing salons, public swimming pools and campgrounds; investigation of animal bites and childhood lead poisoning; beach water sampling and monitoring; processing of permit applications for onsite water supply and sewage disposal systems; investigation of complaints involving restaurants, hotels, swimming pools and septic systems; and advice on solid waste, insect, and rodent problems.  State fees are charged for food, well, and septic permits.  This division also presents a variety of health education programs for civic groups, clubs, schools, etc.

Anyone selling or distributing food to the public must have a temporary food permit.

Vendors that do not have a temporary food permit must complete a Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) permit application and submit the $40 fees to the Hampton Health Department no later than 5 business days prior to the event (the state policy requires the application to be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the event).  Vendors that have been issued a TFE permit from another locality shall complete the “Worksheet for Permitted Temporary Food Vendors Visiting Hampton” and submit to the Hampton Health Department no later than 5 business days prior to the event.  Vendors selling food prepared at their home (including baked goods) must be approved and inspected by Virginia Department of Agriculture (VDACS) and submit a copy of the most recent VDACS inspection with their TFE application.  In addition, as of July 1, 2018 any vendor who will be cooking raw animal foods such as hamburgers, chicken, and/or seafood, etc. or cooling of any time-temperature control for safety (TCS) foods must have a Certified Food Protection Manager Certificate (CFPM) from one of the 5 VDH approved courses prior to being issued a permit (link provided below).  Please contact the Health Department directly at 757-727-2574 for more information.

To obtain a Hampton Health Department temporary food application, please click on these links:

COVID Foodsafety Flyer

Rabies and Your Pets

The Virginia Department of Health Temporary Food Establishment policy and additional information may be found at: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/environmental-health/food-safety-in-virginia/tfe/.

Additional information on the VDH CFPM requirement may be found at: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/environmental-health/food-safety-in-virginia/food-operators/cfpm/.

In addition to the Hampton Health Department requirements, the City of Hampton requires certain outdoor events to obtain a City of Hampton Special Events Permit.  For more information on the City of Hampton Special Events Permits, please visit: http://www.hampton.gov/1611/Outdoor-Special-Events-Permits.

Please visit https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/environmental-health/ for additional resources

For information regarding Indoor Air Quality please follow this link: www.alexhealth.org/rhie

For information regarding sewage spills or sewer back ups in homes or apartments, please call the Hampton 311 Call Center at (757) 727-8311.