Immunization FAQs

Immunization Services- Adults and Children

Address: 3130 Victoria Blvd., Hampton, VA 23661
Phone:  (757) 727-1172, ext. 21717

When are you open?

It is best to call ahead since clinic hours can vary due to staff trainings, special health events, or high volume clinic days.  Please call (757) 727-1172, ext. 21717.

Can anyone get shots at the Health Department?

Anyone is eligible to receive shots at the health department. You do not have to be a Hampton resident or be at any certain income level. We encourage you to have a primary care provider that coordinates your care and provides all your health services, including immunizations, but we are here to serve you when needed.

Does it cost me anything?

Any childhood vaccine required for school entry in Virginia is provided free of charge. A fee is charged for non-school-required childhood vaccines, and most adult vaccines, TB assessments. Cash, check, Visa, and MasterCard may be used to pay for these. We can bill some private insurance companies but must confirm converage first.

What do I need to bring with me?

  • Your or your child’s shot record
  • Hospital record of an infant who received Hepatitis B vaccine at birth
  • Any forms you need us to complete
  • Insurance information
  • A document that shows the legal name of the person receiving services

When are shots needed?

See links below:

What shots does my child need to attend daycare or school in Virginia?

Daycare/school Immunization requirements

I need a TB (Tuberculosis) test – Where do I go?

TB skin tests (PPD’s) are not given on request. A TB assessment must be done to find out if there is a need for the PPD. One of our nurses will ask you questions about TB symptoms and possible risk for exposure to TB and decide whether you need to have a PPD. TB risk assessments are done every weekday except Thursdays.

I am traveling out of the country. What do I need?

As of March 1, 2010, Hampton Health Department no longer provides travel immunization services.  Information is available at

Do you give rabies shots? I have been bitten by an animal. What do I do?

Pre-exposure rabies vaccine series is given to people who work in areas at risk for exposure to rabies such as veterinary clinics, nature parks, zoos, etc., or who will be handling animals during foreign travel. This series must be scheduled in advance.

Post-exposure rabies shots must be administered by a physician.  This is typically done in the hospital emergency room.  If you are bitten, the Environmental Health Department is available for consultation to you or your physician.  Please call (757) 727-2570 for further information.

For more information on immunizations visit the following links: