April 20, 2020 Media Contact: Tammie Smith, public relations coordinator, email@example.com
CENTRAL SHENANDOAH HEALTH DISTRICT COVID-19 UPDATE
(STAUNTON, Virginia) – The Central Shenandoah Health District continues to assist with and monitor response to a COVID-19 outbreak at Accordius Health in Harrisonburg.
The response to this outbreak has involved multiple partners, including staff and administration at Accordius Health, clinicians with Valley Family Elder Care, Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital (SRMH), Virginia Department of Health/Central Shenandoah Health District (VDH/CSHD), Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County Emergency Response, the NW Healthcare Coalition and members of the community. These partners are communicating on a daily basis to ensure effective response to this outbreak.
- VDH/CSHD have organized Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) volunteers to help meet the increased needs of the residents of Accordius Health in Harrisonburg. Two volunteers have been working with Accordius, and VDH/CSHD are working to identify and place additional volunteers.
- SRMH has coordinated with the facility to meet the needs of patients who require hospitalization or emergency department assessment.
- Emergency Medical Services (Harrisonburg Fire Department, Harrisonburg Rescue Squad and Rockingham County Fire & Rescue) have coordinated to meet the transportation needs for residents requiring hospitalization
- The staff at Accordius and the clinical staff from Valley Family Elder Care are providing compassionate care to all the residents, and they are coordinating closely with the hospital when additional care is needed.
- The NW Healthcare Coalition has assisted with supplies, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Other long term care facilities in the Harrisonburg area, as well as community members, have shown support in a number of ways, including: food, supplies, and additional staff. The support of the community for the residents and for their caretakers has been heartwarming.
Accordius Health in Harrisonburg COVID-19 status update*
- 28 residents of Accordius are ill with COVID-19 symptoms, and they are receiving symptomatic care that includes intravenous fluids, oxygen and medications.
- As of April 20, there have been 10 deaths, including five residents transferred from Accordius Health who subsequently passed away at a local hospital.
*Provided by and with permission of Accordius Health in Harrisonburg. No additional information on residents of the facility is being provided at this time.