May 12, 2021
Media Contact: Cat Long, RHHDpr@vdh.virginia.gov, 804-363-0933
CHILDREN AGES 12-15 CAN NOW RECEIVE PFIZER COVID-19 VACCINE
RICHMOND, VA – Following the FDA’s Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendation to utilize the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 12-15, Richmond and Henrico Health Districts (RHHD) are now expanding their COVID-19 vaccination efforts to include anyone ages 12 and up.
“Although it is rare, children can experience serious and devastating illness from COVID-19,” explains Dr. Melissa Viray, Deputy Director for RHHD. “Plus getting your children vaccinated is a safe way to help protect your whole family and the wider community!”
There are several options for children ages 12 and up to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Check with your child’s provider. Some pediatricians will administer COVID-19 vaccines based on whether they have the appropriate storage equipment and staffing capacity. Your child’s health system and other providers may have COVID-19 vaccination events, too.
- Get vaccinated at a nearby pharmacy. Many national and local pharmacies have vaccines available for children ages 12+. To search for vaccines in your area, visit vaccines.gov and look for a pharmacy that offers Pfizer.
- Walk up or schedule an appointment at an RHHD vaccination event. Children ages 12+ are welcome to walk up or schedule an appointment at any of RHHD’s public vaccination events offering Pfizer vaccines. Some of the events that work well with public school children’s schedules are listed below. To see a full list of opportunities or to schedule an appointment, visit vax.rchd.com or call 804-205-3501.
- Tuesday after school (May 18, 12-5 p.m.)- George Wythe High School (4314 Crutchfield St., Richmond, VA, 23225)
- Wednesday (May 19, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.)- Richmond International Raceway (600 E Laburnum Ave,, Richmond, VA, 23222)
- Wednesday (May 19, 3 – 6 p.m.)- George Wythe High School (4314 Crutchfield St., Richmond, VA, 23225)
- Thursday after school (May 20, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.)- Richmond International Raceway (600 E Laburnum Ave., Richmond, VA, 23222)
- Saturday, (May 22, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)- George Wythe High School (4314 Crutchfield St., Richmond, VA, 23225)
Richmond and Henrico Health Districts require that children under the age of 18 are accompanied by an adult aged 18+ to sign their consent form. If the adult is not the child’s parent or guardian, the adult must verbally confirm that the child has parental permission to receive the vaccine. Pediatricians, pharmacies, and health systems may have different guidelines; please check with the entity administering your child’s COVID-19 vaccination for more information.
# # #
About Richmond and Henrico Health Districts: RHHD are sister public health agencies serving Richmond’s and Henrico’s communities. Our mission is to expose and address the root causes of health disparities, protect health by preventing the spread of disease, and build health equity by partnering with communities and working collaboratively across sectors.