April 3, 2020
Media Contact: Larry Hill, Phone: 757-683-9175
Hampton Health Department Reports First COVID-19 Death
(Hampton, Va.) The Hampton Health Department announced today the first death of a Hampton resident from coronavirus 19 (COVID-19). The resident was a male in his 60s with underlying health conditions. This appears to be a case of community spread. To protect patient confidentiality, no further information about the patient will be provided.
“The Hampton Health Department is saddened to announce the first COVID-19 related death in Hampton. This is a sad day and our hearts go out to his family and friends. The Hampton Health Department is investigating how he may have been exposed to the virus and we urge our community to continue to follow guidance from the Virginia Department of Health to keep COVID-19 from spreading,” said Acting Hampton Health Director Dr. Steve Julian.
This new case will not be included in the death statewide case count tomorrow on the VDH website at www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus.
The Regional Call Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday – Friday. For COVID-19 questions, call 757-594-7069.
To lower the risk of respiratory germ spread, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages the following effective behaviors:
- Everyone, especially the elderly and those at-risk should stay at home as much as possible; if not possible, avoid large gatherings.
- Practice social distancing of 6 feet or more.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Limit travel as much as possible.
This is a rapidly changing situation, and information is being shared as it becomes available on the following websites: www.cdc.gov/covid19 or www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/.