September 27, 2021
Media Contact: Allie Phillips, population health manager, email@example.com, (276)-415-3360
LENOWISCO and Cumberland Plateau Health Districts Offering (Pfizer-BioNTech) Booster COVID-19 Vaccines
(WISE, Va.) – Beginning this week, both the LENOWISCO Health District and Cumberland Plateau Health District will offer COVID-19 booster doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to certain eligible populations in line with updated guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Recommendations from the CDC are:
- people 65 years and older and residents in long-term care settings should receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months after their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series,
- people aged 50–64 years with underlying medical conditions should receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months after their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series,
- people aged 18–49 years with underlying medical conditions may receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months after their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series, based on their individual benefits and risks, and
- people aged 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting may receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months after their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series, based on their individual benefits and risks.
“Our number one priority is to be able to readily provide all individuals within our community with COVID-19 vaccines,” said Allie Phillips, population health manager. “We are thankful for our many partnering pharmacies and health care facilities who are also providing COVID-19 vaccines. This allows individuals to have the flexibility of obtaining a vaccine or booster from any COVID-19 vaccine provider and not just the original site where they received their initial series.”
The booster vaccine can be obtained any time after six months from the date of second Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness decreases slowly at six months, but people still have strong protection against severe illness, hospitalization, and death. It’s recommended that the booster dose is given six months or more after the second shot. Individuals who do not receive a booster will still be considered fully vaccinated. If individuals have any questions or concerns about booster eligibility they should call 1-877-VAX-IN-VA, their local health department, or their local health care provider.
The Lenowisco Health District and Cumberland Plateau Health District will be offering the Pfizer booster doses in their local health department offices. Please call your local health department to schedule a Pfizer booster dose appointment.
Lenowisco Health District:
- Lee County Health Department – 276-346-2011
- Scott County Health Department – 276-386-1312
- Wise County & City of Norton Health Department – 276-328-8000
Cumberland Plateau Health District:
- Buchanan County Health Department – 276-935-4591
- Dickenson County Health Department – 276-926-4979
- Russell County Health Department – 276-889-7621
- Tazewell County Health Department – 276-988-5585
Vaccine providers in both health districts can also be found at www.vdh.virginia.gov/cumberland-plateau/appointments/ and www.vdh.virginia.gov/lenowisco/appointments/.
For more information about COVID-19 vaccination, you can visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/covid-19-vaccine. For specific information regarding vaccination in the Lenowisco Health District or Cumberland Plateau Health District you can visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/lenowisco/ or www.vdh.virginia.gov/cumberland-plateau/.
# # #