May 7, 2020
Media Contact: Michelle McPheron, nurse manager senior, LENOWISCO Health District, 276-328-8000
LENOWISCO HEALTH DISTRICT OFFERS DRIVE-UP TESTING FOR COVID-19 AT LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENTS IN LEE, SCOTT AND WISE COUNTIES
— Testing is by appointment only; must meet VDH priority criteria. —
(WISE, Virginia) – Testing capacity at commercial, private and hospital laboratories performing SARS-CoV-2 testing continues to increase in Virginia. As a result, in May, Virginia’s state laboratory, the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services, will transition its services to support public health testing.
The LENOWISCO Health District has activated drive-up testing sites for COVID-19 at each local health department in Lee, Scott and Wise counties. Testing is being conducted in the parking lot of each health department Monday through Friday from 1 to 3 p.m. by appointment only, after being screened on the phone by a nurse.
Must meet VDH priority COVID-19 testing criteria:
- Outbreak investigations;
- Selected contact investigations;
- Un- or underinsured persons with COVID-19 symptoms; or
- Workers of congregate settings with COVID-19 symptoms (long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, prisons, jails, group homes).
In order to be approved for testing, you must call in advance for a screening interview. Those that are approved for testing will receive an appointment time. You must bring a valid ID to the testing site. To avoid lengthy wait times, please come to the site at your appointed time and bring your documentation with you.
To request a screening, please call:
- Lee County Health Department – 276-346-2011
- Scott County Health Department – 276-386-1312
- Wise County/City of Norton Health Department – 276-328-8000
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Stay home, except for essential travel;
- If you must go out in public, wear a cloth face covering;
- Stay home if you are sick;
- Avoid contact with sick people;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoid close contact with crowds of any size, and avoid any crowd of more than 10 people.
For the most accurate and up-to-date information online, visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/lenowisco, www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus and www.cdc.gov/coronavirus.