April 5, 2020
Media Contact: Robert Parker, public information officer, Western Region, email@example.com
NEW RIVER HEALTH DISTRICT ANNOUNCES FIRST CASES OF COVID-19 IN GILES COUNTY
(CHRISTIANSBURG, Virginia) – The New River Health District confirmed two additional cases of COVID-19 in the district. Both are residents of Giles County. Both are self-isolating at home, and health department staff are conducting a contact investigation, to identify those who had contact with the patients, assess their risk of potential exposure and provide medical and public health measures to protect individuals and the community. To protect privacy, no other patient information will be disclosed.
“Now that we are almost a month into this public health emergency, COVID-19 has spread to every health district, and nearly every corner of Virginia,” said Noelle Bissell, M.D., director of the New River Health District, “Each one of us must do everything we can to limit the further spread of illness. We know the most effective way to do this is to stay home as much as possible, and practice effective individual precautions, especially for hygiene and distance. That’s how YOU stay well, and how you protect those around you today, AND those you will be with tomorrow.”
To reduce the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Stay home as much as possible, except for essential travel;
- Stay home, especially when you are sick;
- Avoid contact with sick people;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoid close contact with crowds of any size, and avoid any crowd of more than 10 people.
For more information, call the New River Health District’s COVID-19 public health call center at 540-267-8240. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to noon and Sunday, noon to 4 p.m. After hours, leave a message.
# # #
(NOTE: These cases do not yet appear in the Virginia Department of Health COVID-19 dashboard at www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus. The data is updated each day at 9 a.m.)