November 17, 2020
MEDIA CONTACT: Avanti Benson-Allen, 757-393-8585 ext. 8566
Portsmouth Health District Announces Community Based COVID-19 Testing
The Portsmouth Health District, in conjunction with the Virginia National Guard and Portsmouth Medical Reserve Corps, will be holding a community-based testing event for Portsmouth residents on Thursday, December 1 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Tidewater Community College-Portsmouth Campus, 120 Campus Drive, Portsmouth, VA 23701. This will be a free drive-thru event and those coming for testing will remain in their vehicles and wear a face covering. You must be at least 16 years old and bring a valid identification to the testing site. Additional instructions will be provided when you arrive.
“We are pleased to provide this community wide testing to our citizens with the support of Virginia National Guard. As our mission states we are committed to the promotion, protection and preservation of our district”, said Portsmouth Health Director Dr. Lauren James.
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Wear a mask (also known as a cloth face covering) when around others;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand-sanitizer;
- Stay home as much as possible and limit visitors in your household (they may have been exposed to the virus and not show symptoms).
- Stay home if you are sick;
- Avoid contact with sick people;
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
For the most accurate and up-to-date information online, visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus and www.cdc.gov/coronavirus.