July 12, 2016
For More Information Contact
Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc.
Virginia Department of Health
(LYNCHBURG, Va.) – The Blue Ridge Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. held its regional EMS awards, June 23, at the Peakland United Methodist Church in Lynchburg. The council celebrated its EMS personnel for their devoted service to the regional EMS system and awarded those indivduals, nominated by their peers, for their commendable achievements in the field.
“It is important to recognize the excellence in our region through the BREMS Regional EMS Awards program. The awards program allows individuals and organizations to be recognized for their dedication and support,” said Mary Kathryn Allen, executive director of the Blue Ridge EMS Council, Inc. “Their commitment and perseverance demonstrates the effort and importance of the job our everyday heroes provide to their communities to make it a better place to live and work.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2016 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 12 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“I am honored to acknowledge the remarkable level of service and dedication shown by these regional award winners,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to providing lifesaving patient care to citizens in their community make them worthy of such recognition.”
The 2016 Blue Ridge EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Susan Walton, Appomattox County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Appomattox County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Emergency Preparedness and Response – Campbell County Public Safety
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Maurice Bruce, Lynchburg Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Joshua Phillips, Lynchburg Fire Department
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Peter O’Brien, M.D., Centra Medical Group Stroobants Cardiovascular Center
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Michael Miller, Bedford County 911 Center