July 12, 2016
For More Information Contact
Southwest Virginia EMS Council, Inc.
276-628-4151 ext. 210
Virginia Department of Health
(BRISTOL, Va.) – The Southwest Virginia Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. paid tribute to its region’s EMS personnel, June 18, at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion. The council presented regional awards to individuals, who were nominated by their peers, for their remarkable accomplishments in the field of EMS.
“The regional EMS awards are a highlight of our year as we get to acknowledge individuals and agencies that have gone far beyond the call of duty to ensure the health and safety of our communities,” said Greg Woods, executive director of Southwest Virginia EMS Council, Inc. “We are honored to be able to present these awards.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2016 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 12 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“I am honored to acknowledge the remarkable level of service and dedication shown by these regional award winners,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to providing lifesaving patient care to citizens in their community make them worthy of such recognition.”
The 2016 Southwest Virginia EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Anita Perry, WelmontOne Air Transport, Med-Flight II
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Nolan Stevens, Lebanon Lifesaving Crew
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Abingdon Ambulance Service
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Katie Mattox, Washington County Lifesaving Crew, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Washington County Lifesaving Crew, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Emergency Preparedness and Response – Theresa Kingsley-Varble, Washington County Department of Emergency Management
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Carla Gunter, Twin County Regional Hospital
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician – Paul A. Phillips, M.D., Dante Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Josh Wilkinson, Bristol Virginia Fire Department
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider- Dave Jenks, Bristol Virginia Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Daniel Hartsock, Washington County Sheriff’s Office
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Justin Anderson, Woodard Pennington Gap Volunteer Fire Department